The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in graduate courses at Japanese universities as Research Students (either regular students or non-regular students) under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program as follows.
Level : Graduate school level (Research/Masters Course/Ph.D. course)
Age : Under 35 years old (Applicants, in principle, must have been born on or after April 2, 1986)
Fields of study :
(A) Japan related Humanities
(B) Japan related Social Science
(C) Mathematical Science
(E) Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
(F) Biology and Biotechnology
(G) Agriculture and Fishery
(H) Environmental Science
(I) Pharmaceutical Science
(J) Geology and Geoinformatics
(K) Civil Engineering
(M) Material Science / Engineering
(N) Electrical Engineering
(O) Electronics & Communications Engineering
(P) Mechanical Engineering
(Q) Aerospace Engineering
(S) Information Technology
(T) Sports Science
Qualifications and Conditions
In addition to the Qualifications and Conditions listed in the Guidelines, the following would apply:
1. For Research Student / Master’s course / Doctoral course (first phase) Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field with minimum 65% marks. The candidates should obtain their mark sheet and degree on or before 30th September 2021 for the October 2021 batch.
2. Doctoral course (second phase) Master’s degree in the relevant field with minimum 65% marks. Candidates should have practical research/teaching/work experience after obtaining the prescribed qualification on or before 30th September 2021 for the October 2021 batch.
Term of scholarship
Non-regular students: The scholarship period will last from September or October 2021 until the end of March 2023. Regular students enrolled in master’s, doctoral, or professional graduate courses: Regardless of the date of arrival, the scholarship period shall be the necessary period for the completion of the respective regular course (hereinafter referred to as “the standard period of study”. See “13. ACADEMIC PATHWAY FOR RESEARCH STUDENTS” for the standard period of study for each course).
1. Students receiving the preparatory education and non-regular students: 143,000 yen (Approx. Rs.101,418) per month
2. Regular students enrolled in master’s or professional degree courses: 144,000 yen (Approx. Rs.102,127) per month
3. Regular students enrolled in doctoral courses: 145,000 yen (Approx. Rs.102, 836) per month.
Education fees : Exempted
Traveling Expenses : Round-trip airfare will be provided
How to apply and where to send the completed forms
The document examination will be conducted only on the following preliminary application form. If you wish to apply, please e-mail this form by July 9. Please note that the file should not exceed 200 KB when applicants send their preliminary application form to us. Also, only applications received by the following email id will be considered as submitted.
Email: email@example.com (For submission of applications only)
In addition, the application documents described in the guidelines are required to be submitted by the person who has passed the document examination.
Schedule of the Preliminary Selection
Application Deadline (must) : 9th July 2020
Application Screening : July 2020
The Notification of Examination of submitted application documents : Mid-August 2020
Written Examination and Interview : 5, 6, 12 or 13 September 2020
Notification of the Results of the First Screening: End-September
*Owing to the ongoing situation related to COVID-19, there is a possibility that the application procedure could be stopped or changed at a later stage, and the Embassy may entirely cancel the selection of candidates of the scholarship programs, for the academic year 2021.
For more details contact
Mr. S. Sinha, Ms. Anshula
Japan Information Centre (JIC),
Embassy of Japan,
50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi – 110021.
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org (Ms. Anshula) (For inquiry only, not for submission of applications.)