Sir Parashurambhau College, Pune is a reputed institute in the field of education. Department of Mathematics, S. P. College, is organizing an online course ‘Mathematics for Everyone’.
This course is especially designed for a Layman, for all those who do not have a background in mathematics. The course aims at sharing interesting maths without any technical jargon! Those who like the subject will start loving and those who don’t like will start liking it!
No equations, no theorems, no proofs and… no exercises!! Just a mathematical chat!
A golden opportunity for those who feel that they always wanted to learn math, for those who always had some unknown fear for the subject, for those who like the subject and want to know more about it, and so on…
Those who like the subject will start loving and those who don’t like will start liking it!
Duration of the course: Total 15 clock hours. Every Session would be of 1 hour. The participation certificate will be issued on successful completion of the course.
There will be in all 15 sessions, each of one hour duration
The lectures will take place on every Saturday from 4.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Certificate of participation will be given to all the participants
Each lecture will be (mostly) on a different topic
References for further reading will be given
Medium of instruction will be English
Limited seats with admission on first come first served basis
Last date for registration: 31st July, 2020
The first lecture will take place on 8th August at 4.30 p.m.
Topics to be covered:
1. Mathematical Anecdotes: Stories, Jokes and Poems
2. The Hidden Laws of Nature are Mathematical!!
3. A Historical Chat on Developments in Mathematics
4. Ramanujan- A miracle in the world of mathematics!!
5. Mathematics is Fun: Games and Puzzles
6. Give Folds to a Paper and Do Mathematics!
7. Can We Measure Beauty?: Golden Ratio and Fibbonacci Sequence
8. Madhava and Kerala School: An Unsung Glory!
9. Music and Mathematics: How Can They Be Related?!
10. Pythagoras, Euclid and the Greek School
11. Can We ‘Handle’ and ‘See’ Mathematics?: Mathematical Models
12. A Proud Chapter: Lilavati and Bhaskaracharya
13. A Wonderful World of Magic Squares
14. Vedic Mathematics
15. Can We Explain Contradictions?: Godel, Escher and Bach
Participants will have an exposure to the lighter side of mathematics
A ‘Math Lover Club’ could be formed
A counseling session for those who are further interested (after completing this course) will be arranged
A second course at a more advanced level could be designed
Dr. V. M. Sholapurkar
Head, Department of Mathematics,
Sir Parashurambhau College, Pune
1. Dr. Pradeep Apte
2. Dr. Abhijit Ranjekar
3. Dr. Dhanashree Bhide
4. Prof. Mandar Khasnis
Fee per participant: Rs. 3000 + GST (18%) = Rs. 3540
For the details of the course you may visit website https://www.spcollegepune.ac.in/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Mathematics-for-Everyone.pdf and watch introductory video https://youtu.be/1JPceBds7jA
Link for the Registration:
You will receive bank account details for the payment of fee by mail.
V. M. Sholapurkar